Protection you can count on
If you don't receive the item that you ordered, or it shows up significantly different from its description, you may qualify for Purchase Protection, and we'll reimburse you for the full purchase price plus any original shipping costs, subject to terms and limitations. If you are charged for a transaction that you didn't make, let us know within 60 days, and we've got you covered.
Purchase Protection covers all eligible purchases where PayPal is used, as well as payments made through our website. To take advantage of Purchase Protection, we require, among other things, that PayPal accounts be kept in good standing and ask that a dispute be filed within 180 days of your purchase or payment.Read purchase protection requirements
What’s covered with PayPal Purchase Protection
- You bought a book, but received a DVD
- You bought an item described as “new,” but received something that was used
- You purchased 3 items, but only received 2
- The item was damaged during shipping
- The item is missing major parts (that the seller didn’t report)
- You purchased an item described as authentic, but received a knockoff instead
What’s not covered with PayPal Purchase Protection
- Real estate
- Motorized vehicles
- Custom-made goods that are significantly not as described
- Industrial machinery
- Prepaid cards
- Items that violate our policies
- Anything bought in person (not over the internet)
- Send Money transactions to friends or family
- Disputes filed more than 180 days after the purchase for item not received and significantly not as described claims
- Unauthorized transaction claims reported more than 60 days after the transaction date of the transaction
- Items that were described accurately by the seller
- Donations including payments on crowdfunding platforms
If you report an unauthorized transaction problem within 60 days from the transaction date, we’ll investigate right away. You aren’t liable for unauthorized purchases made from your account.
We're here to help. Tell us if you suspect strange activity, identity theft, or phishing and we’ll be on the case. Help us by forwarding any suspicious emails to email@example.com so we can investigate.
You're Protected If:
1. You were charged for something you didn't purchase.
This may mean someone has used your PayPal account without your knowledge or approval. Report it within 60 days and PayPal will investigate. You will be covered by our $0 Liability for Eligible Unauthorized Transactions program.
2. Your order never arrives.
All you have to do is log in to your account and open a dispute to get the refund process started. If you made the purchase on eBay, start here instead.
3. Your order arrives, but it's significantly different than it was described.
There are a variety of scenarios that meet this condition, for instance:
- You received a completely different item.
Example: You purchased a book, but received a DVD.
- The item is missing parts or features, and this was not disclosed.
Example: The listing said batteries included, but they weren't.
- You purchased a specific quantity of an item, but received the wrong amount.
Example: You purchased five pairs of fuzzy dice and only received four.
- The item was damaged en route to its destination.
Example: You bought a beautiful antique lamp, and it arrived in pieces.
- You received a counterfeit version of the item.
Example: You purchased a Rolex, but received a Faux-Lex.
If an order doesn’t arrive or it doesn’t match the description, we’ll reimburse the full cost of eligible purchases plus original shipping.