What Is Leather PU?
What Is PU Leather?
The PU leather we use is a type of PU leather called bicast leather which has actual leather but has a polyurethane coating on top. This type of PU leather takes the fibrous part of cowhide that are leftover from making genuine leather and put a layer of polyurethane on top of it.
PU Leather Pros:
- PU Leather costs less than genuine leather because it is easier to manufacture.
- PU doesn’t absorb water which makes it easy to clean.
- 100% PU leather is vegan.
- PU leather can be made into a variety of colors and styles.
- Unlike leather, PU leather doesn’t dry out over time.
- Better for sustainability because it uses fewer resources to make.
PU Leather Cons:
- Can look fake and synthetic.
- Isn’t breathable like genuine leather.
- Can smell of chemicals or plastic.
- Easily wears over time and can crack, which means it doesn’t last as long as real leather.
- Can puncture or tear easily unlike genuine leather.
- PU leather doesn’t develop the same luster or patina as real leather over time.
- Not all PU leathers are vegan because some contain leftover genuine leather.
- Even though it uses fewer resources to make, plastics don’t decompose and aren’t the most eco-friendly.
How to tell if it is PU Leather
Depending on whether you are looking for PU leather or genuine leather, it is best to know how to tell the difference between them. Say you are buying leather backpack, the easiest way to tell the difference is by looking at the tag. If you're shopping online you cant see it and the tag isn't available, so being able to know the differences will be useful.
The main difference you will find is the cost. PU leather will generally be cheaper than genuine leather because it is easier to produce.
Doing a water test is also an easy way to determine if it is real or fake leather. Although it wouldn’t be advised to do a water test to a product you don’t own, genuine leather will absorb the water. PU leather will not absorb the water.
If you have a keen eye, you may be able to tell the difference just by looking at the material. Real leather will have some imperfections and have a genuine grain. PU leather will actually look fake, and will almost have a perfect, patterned texture look.
If you are someone looking for a cheaper option, something vegan, or comes in a variety of colors, PU leather will be a great option for you. But if you are looking for genuine leather, PU leather will be something you will want to avoid. There are numerous ways to tell the difference between PU leather and genuine leather to help you in your buying process.